Saturday, September 27, 2008

A half day tour

It's a dreary day.The kind that makes you want to stay inside and sleep all day.It took a lot of effort to get out of bed this morning.But it was the time that I need to get my daughter ready for ballet class.After the one hour waiting at the ballet school,we decided to bring the kids for a half day tour to Downtown.So here we are!The Gastown!!!
Although it's raining we still continue walk around.Gastown is one of the tourist traps where you can find the world's first steam clock which was built in 1977.According to the history,they called Gastown after "Gassy" Jack Deighton is the first man to open a salloon for the sawmill workers that worked here.

It's a nice little attraction but I would recommend Gastown more for its cobblestone streets and gift shops.The Gastown's shops close down around 6pm and the neighbourhood feels vacant immediately so we didn't manage to get into the gift shop.If you only have one day in Vancouver,Gastown is worth an hour.But in my opinion there are better places to explore downtown if you have such little time.There are much more vibrant downtown neighbourhoods such as English Bay, Denman Street, Robson Street, and Yaletown, for evening strolls. However,I have always felt that one of the best ways to learn about the culture of an area is to visit the local Downtown with the kids on the weekend.

7 comments:

marlene said...

Hi Sweetiepie, I didn't know you've been back blogging. It's so nice to have you back.

Canada is one country I'd love to visit someday. As long as the smoke doesn't smell anything awkward, I can go around there. That place sounds historical.

andrewjune said...

yeah it looks so welcoming...love the cobblestone streets and the heritage looking building...wow!

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Sweetiepie, nice blog and love your eloquence.
Been to Vancouver only twice....love the place....especially the scenery on top Whistler....and the view of the moutains really breathtaking.
Incidentally, I took a bus from Toronto to Vancouver...4 days and nights!!!! No joke too, ha ha.
You keep well and have a nice day, Lee.

Dora said...

It sounds interesting! First time see the steam clock.

bluecrystaldude said...

Remind me of Harry Potter story! hehe..

Sweetiepie said...

marlene-hehe don't worry the smoke doesn't smell awkward.come and I bring you around :)

andrewjune-I love heritage vuilding too.:)

u.lee-I never been to whistler but love to go there one day.Thanks for visiting my blog.:)

Dora-it's pretty interesting to me when i saw the clock steaming.

coolingstar9 said...

Sweetiepie,
After reading your post, I feel like going to gastown.
It is good to have a tour to feel the diffrence.
Have a great day.